Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has diarrhea and vomiting. It happens about once or

Customer Question

My cat has diarrhea and vomiting. It happens about once or twice a week
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. he has been on the same diet for years
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tigger and he is 13
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Tigger?
Customer: He is overweight. He weights around 20 pounds
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 17 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has Tigger had any recent blood work performed?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Within the past year, but nothing came back

Nothing came back abnormal, you mean?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
once he is done vomiting, he acts like normal. He is purring and laying down.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We've been using Pepcid and rice when it happens and continues for a while, but it still comes back. We usually have to do this about once a month or every other month

If this is a chronically persistent concern and the blood work was normal, it would probably be wise to talk to your vet about more diagnostics such as abdominal ultrasound, a barium series of the GI tract, etc. It may also be necessary to move your companion over to a lower residue diet or one that is a novel protein in the case of suspected inflammation of the bowel.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok. Thank you.

Certainly.