Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat is about 6 lbs and usually spits out half of the 1 ml

Customer Question

my cat is about 6 lbs and usually spits out half of the 1 ml of clavamox...well she didnt this time. she has vomited alittle...did I overdose her and what should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: I forgot to mention that I had put 1 and 1/2 ml in the syringe because she usuall spits half out. She had a little dry food before the clavamox
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Crystal and she is 20 and has a upper respiratory...cold. Her brother is in the hospital now beciz he got teal bad
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Crystal?
Customer: no except she might weight between 5 and 6 lbs
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. 1 ml of the Clavamox liquid is usually what I would prescribe for a cat 6-12 lbs. Over that, I would go with the 1.5 mls. I am little confused if you had given 1 ml or 1.5 mls. Either way, this shouldn't cause a major problem. If she vomited right after giving the Clavamox, it probably wasn't due to the medication. If she vomited some time after it, it most likely just caused an upset stomach and shouldn't be anything to worry about. Some infections require more than the labeled dose of the Clavamox anyway, so it isn't uncommon for a cat her size to get a bigger dose if it is a difficult to cure infection. If she continues to vomit 3 or more times, I would have her evaluated by an emergency vet tonight. Otherwise, it should be safe to just monitor her. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.