Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has been diagnosed with a UTI caused by MRSA. The

Customer Question

Hello. My cat has been diagnosed with a UTI caused by MRSA. The doctor prescribed chloramphenicol for 14 days. Is this usual? The vet said nothing about being careful with handling the medication but upon further investigation, it can be deadly to humans. I'm worried on both accounts.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: Is this the right medication? Is 14 days normal for the meds? Should I be worried about getting MRSA or the deadly reaction to chloramphenicol?
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt? It's hard to know for sure. The veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: he has a bladder infection so he was peeing blood and straining.
JA: OK. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: He had the PU surgery in 2014. The vet says all looks well with that.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 23 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you curious about whether or not the prescription of Chloramphenicol is usual OR not warning owners about handling being usual?