Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

The vet gave us some chlorbiotic ointment a while back but

Customer Question

Hey there! The vet gave us some chlorbiotic ointment a while back but innever started using it. Over the weekend, my cat's eye began to eye
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: My cats eye began to squint and was draining profusely, so I administered the ointment and he hasn't been opening that eye for a few days.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's about 7 months old. He's up to date on his shots.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I'm sorry Curry is experiencing this problem with his eye.

From your description, it does sound like he has either an eye infection like conjunctivitis (pink eye), a corneal scratch or ulcer, a foreign particle in his eye or a different eye problem, that must be diagnosed in person by his vet.

If the antibiotic eye ointment was not expired, it's alright to use.

For the moment, try to keep gently wiping away the discharge and you can also place a warm, rung out plain tea bag on his upper lid, as the tanic acid in the tea helps to draw out infection.

It would be best to have Curry seen by a vet asap, so you can get a definite diagnosis and most appropriate treatment, if another eye medication will be better than the chlorbiotic.

I hope all will be well with Curry's eye!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with Curry. Is his eye improved? Were you able to have him seen by a vet?

I had another thought about this; he may have the feline herpes virus (not like human herpes) and this can cause problems with the eye, as you described. An easy over the counter remedy for this is L-lysine, a naturally occurring amino acid supplement that comes in powder form, but also in a gel/paste and palatable chews just for cats. You can usually find it in pet stores and natural food stores, like Whole Foods. Here is more information:

http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html

--------------------------

Here is more information about FHV (feline herpes virus):

http://www.eyecareforanimals.com/conditions/feline-herpesvirus/

-------------------

As you can see, he doesn't have to have all of the upper respiratory symptoms, but it can also, only affect the eyes.

Please let me know if you found my answers helpful and/or select a positive rating from the ratings box on your page. This will allow me to receive credit from the website for my help. Thanks very much!

If you have any further questions, just ask; this question page will not close, even after you rate. I will always be here for you and Curry!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I'm just following up to see how everything is going with Curry.

Please let me know if you found my answer helpful.

Thanks!
Cher