Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  19 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA
2263760

Very red and irritated neck area..flea collar I think the

Customer Question

Very red and irritated neck area..flea collar I think the culprit. Do I need to take her to vet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Seresto flea collar. Took it off her two days ago but neck still very irritated
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Millie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Millie?
Customer: No..she is older and this has never happened..but first time using collar
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 24 days ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 24 days ago.

Is she scratching at her neck? Is it bleeding, swollen, or is there pus or drainage?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It doesn't seem to be bleeding now. It looks like it is scabbing around the edges. Looks like trying to heal. About the size of a quarter. Does not go all the way around the neck. Hair trying to grow back. We took collar off on Saturday.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 24 days ago.

Ok you can try some over the counter treatment for 2-3 days. If there is not improvement she will have to see the vet for possible antibiotics and a cortisone injection.

I would call your vet and make an appointment for Friday or Saturday. That way you have an appointment and can cancel it if she improves.

Buy some over the counter hydrocortisone cream and triple antibiotic cream like neosporin. Mix it 50:50 and apply it twice a day. It is not toxic if ingested.

Orally you can give 1/4 of a 10 mg Zyrtec tablet every 24 hours. Zyrtec is an over the counter human antihistamine that you can buy at the grocery store or drug store.

If she is scratching at it you can go to petsmart and buy a inner tube shape collar or ecollar to protect the area.

If she will let you trim her hind nails as well.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 21 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby