Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

Princess is 12 years old. From the moment we Gotter at six

Customer Question

Princess is 12 years old. From the moment we Gotter at six weeks she use the litter box couple of years ago she stopped and began peeing on different places in the house we would get her to stop going in one place and then she would go somewhere else. She went on people's clothes she went on shoes she Jumped in my husbands car and Peed inside of it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Princess?
Customer: I took her to the veterinarian thinking that maybe she had some kind of infection and that it might be hurting her to urinate. He checked her thoroughly didn't find anything obvious but did take a test of her blood. Or urine, I'm not sure which. They saw a little bit of an elevated white blood cell count so we put her on antibiotics. Afterwards she still doing it. Now are scared to death because my husband will not let her back in the house and she's right outside the back door meowing. Now she stop meowing but nobody can pick her up because she won't let you she runs away. We have another cat it's in the house. I don't know what to do to make her stop peeing. I don't know what she's trying to tell us
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 20 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Princess. It sounds like this problem has been going on for quite some time. Cats urinate outside the box for a number of reasons. First of all problems with the urine like a urinary tract infection, bladder or kidney stones or something called Idiopathic cystitis. The last thing is a problem where the bladder becomes irritated and it becomes painful for the cat to urinate. They start to associate the pain with the box so they start to go elsewhere. The infection is treated with antibiotics so if that didn't work then may not be an infection or the wrong antibiotic was given. To diagnose stones you need to do an x-ray. To treat the idiopathic cystitis you give pain medications and I recommend feeding a canned cat food diet, preferably one designed for urine health like Hills C/D. A urine sample would help determine if it is one of these things, not sure what they did at the vet. The urine needs to be taken by a method called cystocentesis where the urine is removed directly from the bladder with a needle and syringe. This ensures it doesn't get contaminated. Bloodwork sometimes get done to rule out metabolic disease like diabetes, thyroid or kidney disease. These conditions cause an increased urine production so the cats need to urinate more often and in larger amounts. Make sure the litter box is getting cleaned twice a day and consider adding a couple more boxes because it could be a behavioral problem. Some cats don't like the litter or the location of the box or the box may be dirty or they just prefer other substrates like clothes. Some of these cats need to be medicated with Prozac to fix the problem. There is also a pheromone spray called Feliway that helps with inappropriate elimination. It can be found on line or pet stores. Works really well.

I also suggest that you look into the website indoorpet.osu.edu. It has great information on how to decrease stress in cats and some think stress causes the idiopathic cystitis and behavior problems with the litter box.

Oh and one more thing this website at Cornell university has great information on cats - vet.cornell.edu