Stephanie Jamison
Stephanie Jamison,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield
88494310

My kitten most likely has fip i have 22 homeless cats in my

Customer Question

my kitten most likely has fip i have 22 homeless cats in my home will they all get this and is there anything i can do to save my kitten my son was murdered in september and mom died 2 weeks later my cats are my life please i cant take any more pain
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Stephanie Jamison replied 21 days ago.
I am so sorry to hear about your kitten. If it is FIP, it is caused by a virus that mutates inside some cats. This means that many or all of your young cats have either been exposed or may becomes exposed to the virus, but not all will develop FIP. We suspect the % that do develop FIP is very low, but no one knows the exact numbers. Unfortunately there is no good way to diagnose FIP on a living patient, but blood tests may help to support the suspicion. I am so very sorry for everything that you are going through right now.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
please give me symptoms my cat was playing yesterday morning and by night she couldn't walk she had brown runny stool and throw up on her shes breathing hard and has a little swollen stomach i just called her and she looked at me could it be worms
Symptoms of the virus generally look similar to the flu in people, you may see vomiting or diarrhea, a mild fever, lethargy or no symptoms of all. If they develop FIP, they can have a swollen stomach, difficulty breathing, severe vomiting or diarrhea, decreased appetite yellowing of the skin or eyes, all of which may happen very slowly or very quickly. Unfortunately there is no one specific sign that is always present to tell you with certainty that is what this is. Worms ar extremely common in young kittens, and can also cause diarrhea, vomiting, and a "pot-bellied" appearance. Unfortunately if she is this sick, I would really recommend examination by a vet to help narrow down if this is something serious or easily treated! Based on how lethargic you noted she is, I would be concerned about something more serious though.