Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

16 years old stopped eating, stjill drinking water, still

Customer Question

16 years old stopped eating, stjill drinking water, still jumpaup on the bathroomcounter to drink out of the faucet everything else the same, has not eaten for 4 days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sam
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Sam?
Customer: Lost his sister about 6 weeks ago, isses her
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 23 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 23 days ago.

Hi Pat,

I am so sorry for the loss of Sam's sister. He is under a lot stress so we must help him start eating.

Rub a drop of honey or syrup into his gums to raise his blood sugar in case he is hypoglycemic.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish so he can lap it up for hydration. If he does offer some tuna.

Go out and get jars of baby food chicken with no onion powder. Offer some warmed to bring out the aroma. Most cats LOVE it and will eat it right up.

He can also have fancy feast or any canned food.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
He has been eating blue muture dry food and samon and chicken wet before he stopped eating
Expert:  Terri replied 23 days ago.

thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

lets pick up any dry food, he is not going to be motivated to eat that.

Concentrate on tuna and baby food for now.

You can also warm his current canned food and see if he eats some. Warm food awakens the appetite sensors in the brain.

Let me know if he eats and how he is doing.

Expert:  Terri replied 20 days ago.
Hi Pat,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri