Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Second opinion] - I have 2 different issues. I have a 5 week

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I have 2 different issues. I have a 5 week old kitten that suddenly wants to sleep and won't wake up I have a 8 month old cat that has been lethargic for the past few days and also wants to sleep alot.<br>Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?<br>Customer: the kitten's mother seems to have little to milk so we have been feeding it formula and carnation. We have already lost 2 out a litter of 4. The kitten was fine this morning,playing and doing all the kitten things...now he just wants to sleep and not wake up<br>
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Still waiting for my 2nd opinion.
Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

How are the cats doing?

Is the kitten eating?

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The kitten that was sleepy yesterday woke up and ate and played last night. He was happy and asleep when I put him to bed at 2:30am. We woke up at 6:30am to find he was once again very sleepy, wouldn't eat, and passed just a short while ago.
Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

I am so very sorry to hear such sad news! poor baby.................

is the mother cat ok?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have been around animals all my life,I'm 56, and have never lost so many. I have no explantion for a healthy, happy., kitten to just suddenly stop eating and die.
Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

He most likely had a genetic abnormality.

did you say the mom was not making milk?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The mom is making a little milk...and she's in heat again! As far as a genetic thing....why would it show up a 5 weeks old?
Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

If mothers milk was bad, the kittens may have been malnourished. Plus fleas weakened them by making them anemic

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
We thought of that and were giving them milk replacer and a little suger water. The last boy seems to be fine....for now.
Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

I am so glad one baby is OK, that's GREAT. Here is how to keep him healthy.

First, do not put any flea poison on him because it can make him sick.

Get a bag of food grade diatomaceous earth on ebay or amazon.

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php

Put it all around the perimeter of your house, under all sofa cushions and mattresses. It will naturally kill all fleas and s safe for cats.

Get a few cans of pate cat food. Add a tablespoon of warm water to make it soupy. Feed him small amounts every two hours as that is the best way for his body to metabolize calories.

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
OK...Thanks we'll try that. Don't want to lose this last one if possible.
Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

You are more than welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

Please keep me posted on his condition. I will work with you tirelessly to save him!!!

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
34;Any ideas on this one. The kitten that I was sure had passed is screaming to the top of his lungs.We can hardly hold him in out hands for his fighting.
Expert:  Terri replied 25 days ago.

You mean the kitten you thought was dead is ALIVE??

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
he is alive. I have seen my share of animals pass away and I was sure he was gone. He was lockjawed and I could see no signs of breathing of heartbeat or at least very faint ones. I've seen many dogs and cats at that point and was just a matter of time. When I went to check on him...to bury him....he woke up clawing and meowing as loud as he could. I went and got him and his brother pate style kitten food,but still won't eat like he should,although he did eat a little moistened kitten chow. Thanks for all your help and this will be one for you to put in books. By the way his unofficial name is ***** ***** Kitten.
Expert:  Terri replied 24 days ago.
Thank God! Insert a dropper with warm diluted wet food in the side ofhis mouth wh there is a space between his teeth and slowly feed
Expert:  Terri replied 24 days ago.

How is the kitten doing?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Got him to patee style food this morning, also I got a different brand of milk replacer with different type of nipple on the end and he drank from it too.
Expert:  Terri replied 23 days ago.
Awesome news!
Expert:  Terri replied 23 days ago.

How is he today?

Expert:  Terri replied 20 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri