Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have a 12 year old cat that is fixed and has started

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old cat that is fixed and has started spraying about two years ago and is doing it more often
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: sweetpea
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about sweetpea?
Customer: no he is healthy I'v tried giving him his own littler box and I got him a cat perch so he could have his own space I;m at the end off my rope because my husband wants him gone and I don't I'v had him from birth I owed his mom
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 23 days ago.

1) On what surfaces are you finding urine?
2) Are there other cats in the home?
3) What has been tried so far aside from litter box and a cat perch?
4) Is he declawed?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Around his litter box in closets on curtains on any clothes that I left on the floor and on corners of the beds I have another cat that is the same age and it is his brother I've had them both since they were born I've tried special cat spray to keep him from urinating in the same spot and no he is not declawed I do not believe in that

On both vertical and horizontal surfaces?

Have any veterinary diagnostics been performed? bloodwork? Urinalysis?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
on both and vet said he is healthy

Thanks for the additional info. I understand this started about 2 years ago. Was the bloodwork and urinalysis performed since the symptoms began?

Has your vet talked to you about using any behavioral meds?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
after he started and nothing about meds

This may be your next step, especially if your husband is tired of the behavior. Sometimes we never have a reason for a cat to be showing signs of inappropriate urination. Certainly, trying behavioral meds would be the wisest thing to do before deciding to get rid of him (which I understand you're not keen on.) If you have also not tried using feliway diffusers in your home, this may help with stress or other reason he may be urinating inappropriately.

I would talk to your vet about using prozac, buspar, elavil, etc. to see if improvements are noted. This can take as much as daily medication for 4-6 months before you see the maximum improvement, but for some cats this fully eliminates the symptoms of avoiding the box and urinating where they shouldn't. I think this will be one of the better choices for the household as it may solve the concern for both you and your husband.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 22 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion?