Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My 12 yr. old cat is dragging his hind legs but he isn't in

Customer Question

my 12 yr. old cat is dragging his hind legs but he isn't in pain and he is eating and drinking normally.
JA: Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No nothing.
JA: Have there been any changes in the cat's appearance or diet?
Customer: He seems to be gaining weight and doesn't seem to be in any pain.
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: He responds nomally when I call him and he drags himself to me. Thank You!
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any history of illness or injury?
2) Can you share a video of what you're seeing?
3) When you hold the back feet in your hands vs. the front, do you notice any temp difference? which is warmer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No illness or injury. A very healthy cat for 12 yrs.no difference in temp but doesn't like rear area touched. Sending picture in a second.

Can he still pull his feet away?

Are you able to share video?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is able to move one of his feet and doesn't appear to have any pain while doing it. He seems to do all the normal things he is use to doing except the dragging on the hind quarters. Sorry I don't have video to show you.

My concern is that he has either suffered some type of injury or he has passed a clot, likely the latter given his age. We see this most commonly in middle and senior aged male cats. I would recommend a visit to the vet this weekend. Passing a clot can indicate underlying heart disease and cats who are passing clots may already be in congestive heart failure. Some will pass quite quickly from the symptom while others will have a few months to years of life left with daily medication and close observation of the illness.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion?