Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Small round things on bottom and cat always smells like

Customer Question

White small round things on bottom and cat always smells like ppop
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bourse and 4 got her from shelter
JA: How old is Bourse?
Customer: 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Bourse?
Customer: He is fat
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 23 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 23 days ago.

Hello again,

I have just a few questions for you, before I send an answer:

How long do you have Bourse?

Do the small white things on his bottom resemble grains of uncooked rice or sesame seeds OR do they resemble grains of salt?

Is Bourse a long-haired cat?

What do you feed him (brand and canned or dry)?

If dry food, is he on free feed or for both dry and/or canned, a feeding schedule?

Are his bowel movements mushy, liquidy, or normal?

Thanks,

Cher

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
His bum is raw. They are round like tiny peas. Boulder has longer hair then our other cat, but not super long. Dry cat food don't remember brand. They are small and dark. I have given him a bath and washed his bum and there was poop stuck yo it and he hates anyone touching his bum
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I can't talk now cause I have to pick up my son can I call again onMonday
Expert:  Cher replied 23 days ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

I will send your answer now and you can read it at your leisure.

Expert:  Cher replied 23 days ago.

It's possible that Bourse has an anal gland problem and may be licking excessively at his bottom, because it's uncomfortable. Anal glands can become impacted, infected or even rupture if they are full and not expressed (emptied) by the vet. Here is more information:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=509

--------------

If his stools are small and dark, he may be having a problem with slight constipation and you can help that by encouraging him to drink more (a cat drinking fountain is great) and give him some hairball gel like Laxatone or Petromalt, according to the directions on the product.

If they're very dark, like 'tarry/black,' this could indicate some bleeding in his upper digestive system, and this should be checked out by his vet. His bottom should also be looked at in person, to diagnose the problem and have it treated so he feels more comfortable.

Cats generally hate baths, so if you could just gently wipe the area clean with a non-alcohol baby wipe or cat cleansing cloth, that should be good for the skin and the fur that is also soiled.

The small while balls may be part of the irritation from an anal glad problem, if there is one, but in any case, his vet would need to evaluate this condition and then, treat it. If the small white balls are moving, they are intestinal parasites of some sort.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_parasite.cfm

----------------------

If he is overweight, changing to a high quality canned food might be healthier, because it contains less carbohydrates. Also, portion control is important, so feed him smaller portions several times a day. A grain-free food is recommended: Wellness, Wellness CORE, EVO, Blue, and many others are available in both canned and dry, at your pet supply stores.

I know he hates anyone touching his bum, but, if you're able, for now, try to apply a small film of plain Neosporin ointment (not with 'pain relief') on the area, to soothe it. It's not harmful if he licks it off.

Try to have him seen as soon as you can, so you know the cause of this problem and then treatment can be prescribed.

I hope all will be well with Bourse!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher