Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I was just doing some research. Is there a charge for this

Customer Question

I was just doing some research. Is there a charge for this service?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the veterinarian. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Ok, how do I proceed?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: He is about 13 and has grown very obese in the last couple of years. lately he seems to be swallowing his food whole, eats constantly, and occasionally vomits
JA: The veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Havoc
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Havoc?
Customer: I think that i my main concern.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

I have just a few questions in order to better assess Havoc's situation:

What kind of food are you feeding (brand and canned or dry)?

Is he on 'free feed' or on a feeding schedule?

When he vomits, is it usually right after or shortly after eating?

Do you notice if he's drinking more than usual?

Are his litterbox habits normal?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a short time to type and send your detailed answer.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. Dry food purina kit and kaboodle. Free feed - we have three cats. Yes, shortly after eating, seems to drink quite a bit and his habits are normal
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hi again, and you're most welcome!

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Dry food is more fattening than canned, because it contains more carbohydrates.

If he vomits shortly after eating, and you still see pieces of food in his vomitus, this is more like regurgitation and can be caused by eating too quickly, swallow his food whole, as you mentioned, and the food being too close to or on the ground. To slow down his eating, place a new, washed golf ball in the middle of the bowl and this will make him eat 'around' it. Also, raise his bowls up to chest level, as this is better for digestion.

From your description of other symptoms, it's possible that Havoc may have developed diabetes. This will need to be tested for with a routine senior blood panel, including a thyroid test, from the vet.

For now, you're going to have to serve smaller, measured portions of food and perhaps consider changing to high quality wet food (considered healthier), which is high in protein and low in carbohydrates. Some well recommended ones are Wellness, Wellness CORE, EVO, Blue (grain-free). You can feed the wet or dry versions of these listed above, because they're grain-free and contain nothing artificial. I think you'll find this series of articles interesting, on the best way we can feed our cats, written by a feline veterinarian:

http://catinfo.org/

--------------

There is even a section on diabetes, should Havoc be diagnosed with it.

I hope you're able to arrange an appointment with his vet, asap, and all will be well with Havoc!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher