Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have a 16 1/2 year old male Maine Coon who is now skin and

Customer Question

I have a 16 1/2 year old male Maine Coon who is now skin and bones. I have been feeding him extra food, fresh filtered ice water which he devours. Tested for worms...none. Is he in pain and is it time to euthanize? I don't know that he is suffering :(
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the Maine can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Have there been any changes in the cat's appearance or diet?
Customer: no... just needing to eat more and he is more demanding and the water is constant. Kidney shutting down comes to mind. Went thru before with an 18 year old female :(
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: although the added calories, no weight gain. Slight blood sometimes - not regular - in his stool.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 24 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was a full panel of blood work AND thyroid panel last run on your companion?
2) When was he checked for worms?
3) Is he drinking a high volume of water, too?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
blood not done recently. wormed within 2 months. drinking as much ice water as I can fill in a day
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
if we can talk tomorrow - much better. I am a stage iv colorectal survivor and just got home tonight late and need to get to bed. Had treatment in NYC and drove 3 hrs home after. Just really worried about Riley and want to do the right thing for him. I am nauseas so will look yo talk tomorrow.. thank you.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I can hopefully call his vet who has been on vaca... thank you

To know if it's time to euthanize, your best bet is going to lay in diagnostics. At this age, we can see hyperthyroidism, kidney disease, diabetes, etc. as cause for the symptoms you're seeing. End-stage kidney failure, for example, is not often effectively treated for long-term care but diabetes and hyperthyroidism can be treated and the pet can get years added on to the end of their life. I would not euthanized needlessly without knowing precisely what is causing the weight loss, high volume of water consumption, etc.

More info here:
Kidney disease: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/kidneydisease.cfm
Diabetes: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_diabetes.cfm
Hyperthyroidism: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_hyperthyroid.cfm

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800