Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have loved and owned cats for over 45 years.
60411192

What can I do for respiratory infection for my cat till I

Customer Question

what can I do for respiratory infection for my cat till I get her to a vet
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Precious has an upper respiratory infection (URI) but there are actually a few things which you can do at home for her:

1. Use warm water to clean the eyes and nose of any discharge that builds up. Over the counter artificial tears can be used to flush out the eyes if there's a discharge there.

2. Nasal decongestant drops can be helpful although many cats don’t like them very much as you can imagine. The medicated ones (a-c below) should only be used for three days in a row, with one drop in each nostril; otherwise what’s known as a rebound effect may occur. This is one reason why I prefer"d":

a. Pediatric otrivin=0.05% xylometazoline

b. “Little Noses" Decongestant Nose Drops with phenylephrine hydrochloride
c. Oxymetazoline which is the primary ingredient in Afrin or Zicam

d. "Little Noses" Saline Spray/Drops non medicated which can be used more than three days in a row.

3. You can place her in a bathroom with hot water running so that the steam can loosen up secretions although this is fairly water wasteful. An alternative would be to put her in a small room with a humidifier.

4. L-lysine (500 mg) may help if eye issues have developed. This supplement would be given daily The feline product is available on the internet as eithera chewable treat or a paste; the human version comes in a capsule and the contents can be sprinkled on wet food and given this way as another option.

5. Probiotics such as Forti Flora have been shown to help many of these cats with URI's since it may help to strengthen the immune system; probiotics aren’t just useful for gastrointestinal issues. This particular product is available as a powder which is sprinkled on the food everyday and can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or online.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 29 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Precious. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 28 days ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Precious. How are things going with her? Deb