Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

We found a dead or almost dead on her neck last night. Tried

Customer Question

We found a dead or almost dead on her neck last night. Tried with tweezers to pull it off but head still imbedded in. Tried again today using baking soda and vinegar mixture. Still stuck in there like glue
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Athena she is 21/2
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Athena?
Customer: She has a heart murmer otherwise a healthy spoiled kitty
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

You accidentally left out the word, but I'm assuming you found a 'tick' on her neck last night?

Is she scratching at it or is it bothering her at all?

Thanks,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No she isn't bothered at all. Doesn't seem aware it's even there. Yes it's a tick
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.

Good! I'm glad it's not bothering her!

There is a gadget called the tick key, which can remove the entire tick, harmlessly. I don't know if it's only available online or you might find it in one of your pet supply stores:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R1D3KQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000R1D3KQ&linkCode=as2&tag=ouhaca-20

-----------------------

Try to wipe away the vinegar and baking soda mixture from her fur (don't touch the head of the tick), and pour a drop of rubbing alcohol on the tick, then try again, very gently, to remove with very thin tipped tweezers. Just lift straight up. If it still won't come out, you'll have to bring her to the vet or an ER vet center (because it's the weekend) to have them remove it, asap.

As you know, ticks can carry diseases and humans are at risk, too, so try to wear gloves and not touch the tick head. If the tick is dead and/or died when the body was extracted, there is less of a chance that it can spread dangerous pathogens to cause disease, but the area where it is on your cat might appear swollen and irritated. if you get it out yourself, just apply some disinfectant like hydrogen peroxide and some plain Neosporin ointment--not the one with the 'pain relief' component. If it's removed by the vet, they will disinfect it.

If Athena spends time outside, she should be protected by a topical monthly flea and tick treatment, sold by your vet.

If you get it out yourself, put it in a small ziploc bag, tape closed and put it in your trash, outside. Don't handle it with bare hands, don't flush it, and don't put it into the trash without being sealed, as described above.

I hope you or your vet can remove the tick head and all will be well with Athena! Please keep me posted on how she's doing. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think the head is actually inside her body, should I still try to pull?
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

If the head is so far in, it's more in than out, I would not try to pull. It's time to have the vet help get this out, so it can't do any further damage. I'd head to the ER vet or any vet that's open today, to have this done, now.

Please let me know how things go? Thanks!

Warmest regards,

Cher