Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Found a lump on my cats right side beneath her ribs. Feels

Customer Question

Found a lump on my cats right side beneath her ribs. Feels fluid filled. Doesn't bother her when I touch it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: She is a kitten under 6 months
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Lucy
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: She is our outdoor cat we live on ranch
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 28 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again Michelle,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. In a cat of this age group which wanders outside this is more than likely to be a cat bit abscess, what you are feeling is probably pus under the skin. The problem is that cats or not the most sociable of creatures and they are prone to fighting, their canine teeth are long and sharp and covered with pyogenic [ pus forming ] bacteria. In fact when one cat bites another cat and really sinks its teeth in you can expect an abscess to form as a matter of course and it is often hard to find the entry bite marks.

2. While this is not usually a serious situation it is best handled by your local vet as lancing to remove the pus and then a course of antibiotics is often the best way forward.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you for the advice. I have seen another cat besides ours around and that could be a good possibility. I will contact the vet. Can it wait till Monday or should I try and get her in over the weekend?

As long as she is otherwise acting normally and is eating OK and such then it should be fine to wait until Monday ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello Michelle,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect abscess ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.