Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is scratching his eyes, ears, and around his mouth

Customer Question

hi, my cat is scratching his eyes, ears, nick and around his mouth and biting his legs, I feel like his ripping his face off
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: no
JA: The veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** about 7 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Toss?
Customer: he had a condition with his eyes since June, it would come and go, it would be inflamed and sometimes bugle like a balloon, specially his left eyes. he had a condition with his ears also, it would be filled with earwax and it would itch him badly, and needs cleaning every week, it would come and go also, my vet says it's natural but I don't think so, because he would stay months with his ears clean
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is he indoors only?
2) Take any regular medication?
3) What is being used for flea prevention? How often is it applied?
4) Do you have clear pictures to share of these concerning areas?
5) What brand of food are you feeding?
6) Have any skin tests been performed? biopsies?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1- He's indoors only
2- Maxtroll or tobrin for his eyes, and otal for ears
3- it's attached as a photo, like every 5 months
4- yes
5- I don't have the name, but if necessary I can get it
6- No

My very first impression is that, without a doubt, you need to be working with a dermatologist. Hands down. Symptomatically, he looks like a cat with severe food allergies. Here's an example of another cat with food allergies and similar appearance: http://www.ahmontgomery.com/uploads/1/9/7/7/1977536/7927384_orig.jpg

As this is going to be quite difficult to locate in Africa, we need to analyze as many areas as we can in his life. So, let's start with the name of the flea prevention you're using and list ALL foods you're giving.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I uploaded a photo of the flea prevention previously and I got it's name today, it's called bars
- as dry food, I used to give him "happy cat" brand and a week ago I changed the brand and started giving him "vita day". But this was after his condition and nothing changed
- as homemade food, he gets cheese with all its types, yogurt, bread, meat, chicken, duck and fish once per month. That's mostly all the food I'm giving.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 28 days ago.

If you uploaded a picture, it didn't come through. The only pictures I see are of your companion. I also don't see a 'bars' online, can you share a link or post pictures of the active ingredients?

Do you regularly rotate foods?

Have you performed any diet trials with him over the course of 16+ weeks without adding any additional foods or treats aside from the food?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It's the only flea prevention in the market here, Here's the picture again, I don't know if these links will help
http://www.vetmag.ru/en/product/bars-drops-against-fleas-and-ticks-for-dogs/
http://pets-lounge.com/en/product_info.php?products_id=187
http://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/bars-flea-and-ticks-drops-for-dogs-9430210/i/No I don't usually rotateI don't understand how this diet works, so clearly I didn't perform any

Are these marketed for cats in your area? The links show only dogs. Is there an English translation for the active ingredients? I apologize but it appears there will be some difficulty between languages here.

Diet trials work in such a manner as to remove all "high risk" items form the diet that might cause allergies. Common problem protein and carbohydrate sources that cause issues include corn, wheat, soy, chicken, fish and beef. We aim to find a food that has a protein source that has not been used, and a carbohydrate source that has not been used. An example would be rabbit and green pea, as neither of these were mentioned in your list of common treats. To do a diet trial, this means your companion would receive ONLY this food and his water. No treats, no table scraps, no human food. We need to know if these protein and carb sources are 'safe' and will alleviate symptoms.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
it's, they use it for both dogs and cats
It's in English already, please check the attached screenshotsSo, do you recommend a diet trial? And what if the problem isn't from food?And what do I do to stop him from itching and biting now, until we solve the problem and the itching goes away?
I'm using a cone, shall I keep it on or take it off?

The name of the medication is in English, but the active ingredients are not. Thankfully the pictures you have shared show that fipronil is the active ingredient.

Has your vet provided any diagnostics or treatment thus far? A skin scrape? tape test? Any shots such as steroids? Have any oral meds been tried?

I think your best bet is going to be a diet trial as recommended above. If this is not due to food (ideally we can work that down to being one of the last options with diagnostics) you will probably need to speak with your vet about using some variety of immune-suppressing medication like atopica.

For now I would use the cone and I would trip and buff down his back claws so that he cannot do more damage to his skin.