nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

She is buying her own hind leg She has been doing that for

Customer Question

She is buying her own hind leg She has been doing that for long now.. but I know she only does it when there is something wrong She use to do it when she was about to go on heat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: But we have nurtured her 2 weeks back So there is no way she is on heat And she is mowing a lot morr
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Coco She is about 2 and half years old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: She use to be a bit aggressive at times but since the last two weeks after we spayed her, she loves to be pet and she wants to sleep next to me I also have 2 other cats both about 5 ish
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she been biting her hind leg? Is it just one leg?

Any changes to the skin itself (ie ulcers, sores, redness, pimples, crusting, etc)?

Do you mean she is meowing more since this started again? Does she act like she is in heat even if spayed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She use to bite her hind leg sometimes when she was about to go on heat but also very rarely otherwise. She doesn't look like she is on heat but she is meowing more after she was spayed and has become more affectionate
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that she doesn't appear to be in heat since we can see cases where the ovary isn't fully removed and they keep going into heat and performing behaviors of that nature. If we can rule that out, then its more likely that this is a comfort behavior when she is feeling stressed (as opposed to having to bite her leg from irritation).

In that case, we can try to reduce stress for her by using a de-stressing treatment. Most often we'd use Feliway (also known as Comfort Zone in the pet stores). This is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to relieve stress, promote relaxation, and remove the anxiety associated with the behavior. As well, you could also try them with a nutritional supplement that can be mixed into food like Kalmaid or Zylkene. Both of these are very good at soothing anxious cats that are marking. As well, there are treats like Composure (available on Amazon) and even a Bach Flower Remedy for cats can be of benefit. And as these are not drugs per say, they can be used in combination as need be.

Overall, Coco's signs don't sound like a primary skin issue and instead I do suspect this is a stress behavior. Therefore, we'd want to monitor her but use the above to try to soothe this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is very helpful Doc! I am going to try one of these or some of these in combination and will let you know how she is reacting.Thanks much!
Akhila
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. (There is no extra fee for this and it won't close your question). Thank you!: )