Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I am trying to determine if my cat is pregnant or not...she

Customer Question

I am trying to determine if my cat is pregnant or not...she is about a year old and in the very early morning hours on labor day my cat was in heat and she got outside. she was outside for probably around 7-8 hours. When she came back in she was no longer exhibiting any signs of being in heat which leads me to believe that she mated. We have been watching her for symptoms and so far we did notice a slight pinking up/enlargement of her nipples however they are not quite as pink as they were right now, there was about a week straight where she was vomiting consistently every day. You can feel a slight bump when you pet her however she is not real big. She is on the fluffy side so it is hard to tell. She is also more affectionate then she has been in the past. She is still pretty playful from time to time though. I estimate that she would be about a week away from giving birth if she is pregnant. I had her to the vet on Thursday and they told me the only way to know for sure was to do xrays which I could not afford to do at the time. They did palpitate her stomach and she said she thought she felt a kitten but she wasn't positive. Is there anyway that I can know for sure aside from getting xrays?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your kitten eat anything unusual?
Customer: no
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Holly
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Holly?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

Hi Phillip,

How long ago was Holly outside and possibly mated?

Do her nipples look like this?

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=pregnant+cats+pink+nipples&v_t=client97_inbox

Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

Cats are pregnant + or - 63 days so Holly's nipples would be like the examples now.

She would also be nesting (looking for a place to give birth)

The vet could measure the hormones in her blood similar to a human pregnancy test.

What to expect week by week:

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/cat-pregnancy-a-week-by-week-pregnancy-calendar.html

I hope this helps to determine Holly's situation.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.
Hi Phillip,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri