Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

Vomiting off and on for a day. suspect ate plastic, Jace Is

Customer Question

Vomiting off and on for a day. suspect ate plastic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jace Is about 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jace Is?
Customer: I got him in February. he likes to eat tinfoil and plastic Cat is over 20 pounds.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 1 month ago.

Hi Kerri,

It is very important that if you are aware of Jace eating plastic and he has been vomiting to have him evaluated by a vet as soon as possible! Depending on size and shape of the plastic, it can get caught anywhere in the stomach or intestines if it doesn't come back up or pass through. Vomiting is a possible sign that there is an obstruction and it would probably be best to have an Xray done to see if there is any sign of blockage. Plastic does not usually show up well, but what your vet will look for is whether any particular area is enlarged because of blockage beyond it, or if any other abnormalities might be causing the vomiting. A blockage in the intestines can lead to twisting or perforating of the intestines over time, so it is very important to address this sooner rather than later. Based on physical exam and findings on tests, your vet will be able to assess whether it is ok to wait and see, or if treatment should be performed immediately. Hopefully you will be able to get help for Jace soon! Let me know if you have any additional question.

Good luck,

Dr. Pearl

Hi Kerri,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pearl Tjoa