Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

Had a painful lump on rear by the tail. this morning I

Customer Question

had a painful lump on rear by the tail. this morning I noticed lump is gone but a horrible smell and a lot of skin is gone down to the fat and muscle. put 2 500 mg caps of cephalexin in water and made a paste and applied to area. problem is she licked it all off and I'm worried she might have gotten too much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: she just went thru some kind of episode w inner ear problems, couldn't walk good acted drunk and held head to right side all the time. she falls over if she shakes her head. she was just getting over that when this happened, think she might have gotten snake bit due to clumsiness now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I am so sorry to read about this issue with your Cat. What I would like you to do is wash the Tail area with a Diluted Betadine solution and warm water. Dilute the Betadine to a Dark tea color. clean the area well. You can then apply some Plain Neosporin to the the area. This sounds like a Spider Bite, Possibly a Brown Recluse. That can attest to the fact the flesh is eating up and the area is so bad. A Snake would cause more issues than what you are seeing. I suggest the cat be seen as soon as Possible, because the Venom from the spider will spread and will not stay localized. The may have to derbride the tail, or possibly dock it depending on how the area has progressed. If They can determine if it was a Brown recluse bite they may have some Antivenin.

The walking Drunk was a Vestibular Issue, and if Idiopathic and not ear infection related should resolve on its own. As far as the cehalexin we do not know how much was ingested. It is given to cats, so this will have to be something to monitor. There may be vomiting or Diarrhea, depending how much she licked. If she sarts getting ill from it, please have her seen at the ER for that was well as the tail issue. The sooner she is seen for all of this the better. Please hit reply for questions or concerns.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

Hi I am checking in on your Cat to see if you had her in to be seen by the Vet. Have they started treatment?

Joan