nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

I put oil of oregano organum vulgare on a tick on the cat's

Customer Question

I put oil of oregano organum vulgare on a tick on the cat's skin to kill the tick and the cat is sleeping too soundly and not easily roused. this was last night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: cat, perhaps four years of age and his name is***** has never been like this before, also found vomit on the rug.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mr.?
Customer: other than the exposure to the oil of oregano which has carvacrol . no a fine cat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now Oregano exposure doesn't usually cause sedation but it can cause GI upset which in turn can lead to lethargy in cats. Therefore, we'd want to tread with care for Mr. Cat (as the oil could be coincidence) and counter the likely underlying nausea. Of course, if he shows any belly pain, straining to pass urine, pale gums or changes in breathing we would want him seen urgently.

Otherwise, to start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

If he seems quite weak, as we wait for that to absorb, you can try to boost his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie karo/ glucose/pancake syrup, etc) on his gums to do so. And once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider tempting him on a light/easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. If he settles enough to eat and then perk up, we are happy. Of course if you see any of those red flag signs I noted above or he doesn't respond to the above, then we'd want a check with his vet as there is always a chance the oil is a red herring and another issue (ie brewing infection, etc) is present and may need to be addressed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet