Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Been on langue for a month and a half. Behaviorally he

Customer Question

Been on langue for a month and a half. Behaviorally he sometimes does not use his box. His bowels are just short of diahrehia and feses is yellow. .?.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: Feline diabetes. He is 11 years old and is a Maine coon cat.
JA: I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the Maine's name?
Customer: His name is samson
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about samson?
Customer: He has always been fastidious about his hygene
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

You said, has been on 'langue' for a month and a half; it seems this is a typo. What word did you mean?

How long is Samson diabetic and what brand of insulin is he on and what is his dosage?

What food does he eat?

Is he eating and drinking as usual?

For how long have his feces been yellow?

When was Samson's last vet visit and blood work?

Has he had a urinalysis and fecal analysis recently?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your detailed answer.

I will be offline for a little while, but will definitely send your answer as soon as I return if you have replied to my request for more information. I thank you for your patience in advance.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He was diagnosed a month and a half ago. He is on lantus , first 4 ml now 3 (last 2 weeks). Yellow color has been at least last 3 weeks. Had blood panel exam 2 weeks ago. Food is. 9 lives plus care. He now lays only on the tile or wooden floors.
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi again, and thanks so much for your patience!

I assume his dosage was lowered, due to blood work that showed his blood sugar was lowering or getting too low or close to normal. I'm also assuming that He's getting a divided dose--1.5 units every 12 hours.

Yellow stools can indicate various conditions: a problem with the liver, gallbladder or pancreas. It can also mean it's moving through the digestive system too quickly or there is a bacterial imbalance in the bowel.

The food he's being fed is recommended for urinary problems to balance the pH of the urine. If he's peeing outside the box, I'm assuming he had a problem with urinary tract infections or a blockage in the past?

As a diabetic, he should be on a high quality canned food that is high in protein and low in carbs. Various companies make special diabetic foods, but I've had success with grain-free Wellness CORE and EVO (also grain-free) either canned or dry, because they're good for diabetes and they also have a good urinary pH.

If he's laying only on the tile or wooden floors, he may be warm from a fever and these surfaces are cooler.

It would be advisable to discuss the food choices (do not let him talk you into Science Diet DM ) as, the ingredients in Science Diet foods are not superior and they do include fillers and artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. Also, discuss the yellow stools and he can run some specialized tests on the liver, gallbladder and pancreas, in addition to the routine blood panel, to find the cause and treat it. Also, a fecal sample should be analyzed to find more information. He could have an allergy to and ingredient or ingredients in his current food, which also doesn't contain the highest quality components.

Feel his whole body and see if he feels much warmer than usual. Ears and noses are not true indicators of fever, if they feel hot. If you can take his temperature with a regular lubricated rectal thermometer or a digital one, normal for cats is between 100.5 and 102.5.

These are symptoms of hypoglycemia you can watch for, if his sugar gets too low:

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/endocrine/c_ct_low_blood_sugar#

-----------

If you are not testing his blood sugar at home and you see any of those symptoms, get him to an ER vet, immediately, and start rubbing honey, karo syrup or pancake syrup into his gums right away and on your way to the ER.

I hope all will be well with your Samson!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in with you to see how Samson is doing and if you were able to have him seen by a vet.

Please let me know if you found my answer helpful. Thanks!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher