Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

Cat bite..infected paw. He's about 8 #. I have penicillin IM

Customer Question

cat bite..infected paw. He's about 8 #. I have penicillin IM for livestock but how much do I inject for the cat?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: It is a barn cat and I haven't named him...but he's all black so could call him Blackie.
JA: Got it. I'm sure you'll come up with a good name.
Customer: How much Penicillin should I give him?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: He got rabies and initial shots from the spay neuter clinic. I neutered 5 and have more to take(6) since one female escaped the process.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your cat has an infected paw that you wish to treat with injectable Penicillin IM. Unfortunately this isn't practical because Penicillin has to be given every 8 hrs for 10 days, along with cleansing the wound and keeping it potentially covered from further debris.

Giving multiple IM injections of Penicillin is not practiced and is discourage due to the increased risk of infection, pain, and adverse reactions. You will need oral antibiotics or the injectable antibiotic (Convenia) that is a 1 time injection that lasts for 2 weeks duration in the body.

- Dr. H

Do you have a picture of the infected paw to show me? There is an icon just above the chat you can use to share photo's.

You should do a proper antiseptic cleanser of the paw. You can do this by soaking the paw in either Betadine (diluted 50:50 with warm water) for 5-10 minutes or chlorhexidine solution 3% (Found at most Walmarts) diluted. Then placing a bandage around the paw to keep out debris. Replacing the litter with Yesterday's News or Newspaper will also help keep debris out of the wound so that it can properly heal.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet