Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Swollen bottom lip right side. 16 years old. Still acting

Customer Question

Swollen bot***** *****p right side. 16 years old. Still acting normal. My daughter is ready to rush her to the emergency vet. Just some advise please.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Cassie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cassie?
Customer: Just that she is over 16 years old. Had lost weight in the past year. Very bony, but still very active.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Does Cassie spend any time outside?

Do you have any other pets?

Does this swelling seem to itch or hurt her? Is she rubbing at it with her paw or trying to rub it on the floor or against walls, etc.?

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Thanks,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Indoor cat 24/7
1 other cat and 2 dogs
Doesn't seem to hurt or itch. No rubbing noticeable..
Eating and drinking normally
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How long do I wait?
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.

Because Cassie has furry companions, her lip could have been bitten or scratched accidentally, if they were roughhousing or just playing. I'm glad to hear she's eating and drinking normally, as that shows that it's not very painful, but it might be slightly painful.

She could have been stung or bitten by an insect or spider in the house and that would cause the swelling, or her teeth may be misaligned and her upper fang is hitting her lip when her mouth is closed and/or when she chews. Her fang may be loose (upper or lower) and causing this, or she could have a gum infection inside her lip in that area.

Another possibility could be the beginning of an eosinophilic granuloma. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/eosinophilic.cfm

------------------

It would be a good idea to have her seen in person by her vet to have this assessed and treated, if necessary, but in addition, because she's losing weight, which I not unusual for older cats, she should have a routine senior blood panel, including a thyroid test, to make sure all her levels are where they should be.

For the moment, you can apply cool compresses to the area, to minimize swelling (if she'll allow).

I hope all will be well with Cassie and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with Cassie and if you found my answer helpful.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Cher