Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

How do I get an outside cat, one nobody owns, to sleep in a

Customer Question

how do I get an outside cat, one nobody owns, to sleep in a decent, warm place on my patio instead of under a tree in my backyard. She will let me pet her but is Very afraid of people and any fast movement. She's been marked with the clipped ear so someone had her fixed then released in my neighborhood. I have always had cats and I don't think this one is truly feral. She's sweet but winter is coming.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: She's not lethargic, runs around the yard in nice weather. I just want her to sleep in a warm place this winter. I've made her a comfy shelter but she won't sleep in it. She appears to be a two to three years old, we call her Mixie.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mixie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mixie?
Customer: She has some type of growth hanging from the edge of her chest. Doesn't seem to be in any pain, licks it and lies on it on the pavement. I can't pick her up but I can pet her. Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 month ago.

Bless you for wanting to help Mixie! You are AWESOME!

If the shelter is big enough just put her food in there. Once she smells it she will consider it her territory.

As far as the growth, if it is not bothering her or interfering withe her life just wait until she is more acclimated to address it. If you trap her now it will set her back and she may be afraid to approach your house again.

She WILL warm up to you in time..you just have to gain her trust.

I had a feral that I fed for 8 months who always ran like a thief.Then suddenly he walked right up to me and rubbed against my leg. We have been friends from that day on.........

Please let me know how she is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri