PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 10 year old cat whose symptoms are consistent with

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old cat whose symptoms are consistent with nasal polyps. Examination behind the upper palate did not reveal the polyp, but casual research indicates this is not definitive. Antibiotic treatment produced no improvement whatsoever. Symptoms have progressively become worse over about 4 yours. The cat eats normally and has no loss of food interest. His breathing is impaired by the problem and his drooling is incessant though with variable intensity. I have familiarized myself with VBO and recognize that a CT scan may be needed to evaluate the situation. He is in general otherwise healthy. I am attempting to develop an expectation of cost. The most competent vet service we have used is a VCA clinit in Albuquerque, NM almost 2 hours from home. We have also visited one particular vet in Santa Fe only 45 minutes from home, but neither provider has seen this particular animal. We are otherwise well served by a vet team 15 minutes from home who has seen this animal, but major surgery of this particular type is not typical for them and they have no advanced tools like a CT scanner. My personal experience with MRI an CT scanning is that it is extremely costly for humans and thus I need to develop a more objective view of the likely cost of pursuing definitive diagnosis and treatment for this animal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name?
Customer: The drooling is untreatable. Intervention as to cause is the only realistic option. The cat's name is "Povi" ... he is in a colony of five cats none of whom have this problem -- or any other symptoms for an extended period of time. All cats are male. Povi arrived as a stray in 2006. He is a largish black male with alpha tendencies.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Povi?
Customer: Like all the cats, he is neutered. His injury history is not exceptional. All the cats are semi-feral. Before the apparent polyp symptoms became dominant he would often have a common cold during the winter from which he recovered without treatment other than rest and confinement. Curiously he did not have one last year and so far has not had one this year. He does have an abnormally high appetite -- and pretty much always had. His weight varies, but he is probably about 12 pounds yet quite lean at this time. He does not present as dissipated or underweight in appearnce, but before the current diet regiment (all the cats are on reduced phosphorous canned food supplemented with the highest quality raw heart and liver (bovine) with added thiamine and regular lysine which has been effective against a prevelence of herpes in the outside environment) Povi weighed in a 14 or more pounds.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The symptoms do sound similar to what we'd expect from a cat with nasopharyngeal polyps and you're also correct that having a CT scan is often needed. In some cases, x-ray can be diagnostic. VBO's are considered the only curative approach as physically removing the polyps by force seldom remove the stalk and the polyps tend to regrow within a few weeks to a few months. In 2011, I rescued a cat with nasopharyngeal polyps and wound up having a bilateral VBO performed on her (boy, what an experience). I can honestly say that finding a facility that performs these often is absolutely in your best interest and in the best interest of Povi. I highly recommend working with a board certified surgeon.

The CT scan itself with sedation ran us just shy of $2000. Polyps were found and the bilateral VBO was scheduled. It's also important to note that with Povi having regular 'colds' that your vet may recommend a PCR test for upper respiratory viruses and bacteria as there are commonly underlying causes for the symptoms and polyps which might be possible to treat independent from the VBO. After all was said and done with the surgery, we wound up spending around $7000 with the CT scan, repeat visits and the nasal workup (which Povi may or may not need to have, including the PCR testing and culture of nasal secretions which we opted to do in attempts to find a cause for the symptoms).

If you'd like to chat further about this on the phone, I would love to do so (this does involve an extra expense, but we chat as long as is needed to answer all your questions). Her case was one of the most interesting and I learned a great deal about chronic respiratory conditions from her situation. I do not regret the VBO and feel it was a good investment in her health care; I'd do it again given the choice.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion feeling?