Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My Cat short-medium hair, 1 year old Cat just threw up a

Customer Question

My Cat short-medium hair, 1 year old Cat just threw up a clear liquid. That surprised me and it was the first time. He has been kinda choking or coughing since a few weeks, and in looking online I thought it was due to a hairball that was about to come.
He is a really energic playful and happy cat, he doesn't seems to be sick or losing his energy, he still jumping around and in my legs when i walk.
But he loves to play with Qtips, I always have to take it out his mouth.
He has been lurking around the balcony recently around the gutter where there is dirty water.
I gothim in an cat shelter mission. They told me his approximative birth date, and his experience. They rescued him after he been attacked by a dog, and had to do a surgery has his rib were broken and i think there were damage to his lungs or something. However, they never instructed me to follow a special diet, or to provide him with any special care..... To be honest he is the more joyful & devily cat I ever saw.
Looked online, and came to think that he might have asthma but his coughing are pretty random.
He is grooming a lot these days I realized that.
Its a weird timing because I just receive my order of DRONTAL and was just about to give him his wormer.....
I took a clear picture of the vomit but cannot seem to be able to post along with this, there seems to have kinda bubbly thing i don't really know how to describe it.....
I planned on going do his annual vaccine in about a month, a wanted to do DRONTAL & REVOLUTION before, because I will also need him to be petsit has im gonna go on holiday. i live in Thailand, and not that easy to find a good vet with good english skills to communicate the proper way.
Please help
If its caused by hairball....how long following the vomit should my cat spit it out ?
If its not an hairball what could it be?
If he didnt changed his behavior and doesnt seem to be more drowsy, it shouldnt be that bad ?
Should I wait before giving him DRONTAL Tabs considering that he just vomited?
Thanks a Lot
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mmmm its hard to tell, i would say little of both....give me a inute i think i have avideo somewhere

The major difference between the two is the hard swallowing. If you see hard swallowing, it's a hairball. If the cat is constantly trying to cough something up, asthma.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what about the vomit?

Vomit can happen independent of either of these. I'd like to try to determine the original coughing cause and educate you there before vomiting on to how to treat the vomit. There are treatments and preventions for both that are entirely different.

Has Stoney ever produced a hairball or is it just coughing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
o never but he is only 1.... and is grooming a lot....loosing a lot of hair as well im vacuuming every 2 days

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay thanks

Here are the answers to your questions in the order they were asked:

Cats do not have to ever produce a hairball to be nauseated by it. If you see coughing with swallowing, this suggests that a hairball may be the cause of the symptoms. There are a few things you can do. 1) Start brushing him daily to remove extra fur so he does not ingest it, 2) begin using a hairball treatment like laxatone/catalax/petromalt, 3) change to a hairball prevention formula food. These together can all but eliminate the hairball concern. If you are seeing an increase in fur, shedding and subsequent symptoms of hairball production consider shaving him down to prevent ingestion of fur and the symptoms that follow. Brushing 1-2 times daily can also help greatly.

If this is not due to hairballs, it may be due to asthma. Your vet should be able to determine if asthma is an issue with blood work and a chest x-ray. Many cats have changes on both and he's not too young to have either at 1 year of age.

If he still feels well, this is a good sign. It means that whatever is causing the symptoms is likely not a major ordeal for him.

Wait for all coughing/vomiting to stop for at least 24 hours.

Because you have witnessed vomiting, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

I cannot tell you precisely why you're seeing so many bubbles but it may have something to do with repeated swallowing and air being brought into the stomach. The famotidine mentioned above should help as well as the brushing, laxatone and food changes mentioned in the first paragraph of this reply.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800