Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is 16 and hyperthyroid on Methimazole. A month ago

Customer Question

My cat is 16 and hyperthyroid on Methimazole. A month ago his T4 was high so his dose was increased. Over the last couple of days I think he may have been having seizures - I see him drooling and very lethargic. Tonight he suddenly jumped up looking freaked out and stood in one place all wide-eyed and peed on the flloor then had drooling from the mouth. I had his levels rechecked today and now his T4 is really low. Could this be causing seizures?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Kimo ....
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kimo?
Customer: He had surgery years ago for blocked ureters and is on CD food, otherwise he's pretty healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Poor Kimo, it sounds like he's had a rough go of it recently.

We do know that abnormal thyroid levels can have neurological manifestations. You said that his thyroid was checked. Did he have any other blood work performed today?

Also, did you discuss what you'd been seeing with the vet who saw him today?