nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

Well I took her to 2 vets that said she had nose cancer.

Customer Question

Well I took her to 2 vets that said she had nose cancer. That was in December and they took no tests. They said she would just stop eating and then I would have to put her down. Well the only thing wrong with her is she has no nose no face and it's going to her eyes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Patches 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Patches?
Customer: No she's always been a healthy car Cat
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Is she on any treatment just now?

Is her skin quite raw? Any odor or pus?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No treatment and it bleeds and is very raw. They didn't give me any opinions for her. They just said she would get sicker and I would have to put her down when that happened. But she is still eating fine the only thing wrong is she has a messed up face.
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Now its a shame you didn't post a photo for me to see. Though generally speaking the nasal cancer we see in cats (known as a squamous cell carcinoma) tends to have such a characteristic appearance that diagnosis often can be confidently made from exam alone. So, we don't always need to biopsy or take tissue for further testing.

That said, I am surprised that no treatment options were suggested. We are limited in what a general practice vet can do (really only pain relief for her, but that is still important) but they should have been and could still refer her to a specialist veterinary oncologist to discuss possible cryotherapy options or even possible chemo. Of course, before either of those were started, that specialist would likely take a sample to confirm that suspect squamous cell carcinoma. So, that would be our possible treatment avenue for Patches and you can find your local oncologist HERE. Or at the very least, ring her vet about pain relief to keep her comfortable.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry my pic wouldn't add when I pushed add file. But her whole nose is done and it's black and red. She just starting peeing on a rug I have in my family room and she has never done anything like that before. My husband said maybe it's time to put her down but I don't know if I can do it. ��
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

No worries, you are welcome to post it on any site you can and just paste the link here for me.

Otherwise, if she is urinating out of the box, it may worth making sure she doesn't have a bladder infection and consider de-stressing treatments to give her a chance as we are allowing her what time she has with us.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.