Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have had my cat for 1 week and as yet it has not preened

Customer Question

I have had my cat for 1 week and as yet it has not preened itself, you know licked its face, feet or anywhere, is there something wrong. It does not show any signs of stress.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: lmond
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about lmond?
Customer: she has had cat flu but is over it now and every thing else appears normal except very occasionaly she will cough I think, as I have not heard a cat cough before I can only assume.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

She should be grooming herself regularly, a few times each day.

What symptoms did you see with her recently illness?
Was she treated by your vet?
How old is she?
Is she eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
only symptoms she still has is I think its a cough but I have never heard a cat cough, it is not a sneeze or hickup
she was treated by RSPCA and is rescue cat
she is 6yr and 4weeks
loves eating and drinking
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am taking her to the vet on Fri, I was curious if someone knew why she did not groom herself. So I dont want to be paying out money know because the vet will be $200+

Typically when cats avoid grooming themselves there is an underlying cause. If she has had upper respiratory symptoms (coughing, sneezing, discharge from eyes or nose, etc) she may have ulcers in her mouth causing her pain and avoidance of grooming. Typically with this, we see that cats will avoid eating and drinking, too, but that is not always the case. A thorough exam of her mouth including her tongue, gums, back of her throat, etc. is warranted, for sure, and your vet can check this during a regular exam.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion today? Is there any other assistance I can grant you?