Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My kitten was diagnosed with ringworm 5 weeks ago. She has

Customer Question

My kitten was diagnosed with ringworm 5 weeks ago. She has had 6 weekly anti fungal baths, topical medicine for 5 weeks and oral medication for over 3 weeks. The lesions are healing-hair is growing back and the wood lamp does not glow green anymore. Her first fungal culture came back with a false negative from 5 weeks ago. We have repeated it a week ago. My question is should I continue to keep her confined to one room and when can I let her roam the house free? And, how will I know for sure that she is ever fungus free given the false negative test? Thank you!
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Lisa, the woods lamp test does not cause all varieties of ringworm to fluoresce. This is why a fungal culture is also performed. Once the culture has come back negative and her fur has fully grown back in, she can be allowed to free-roam and you can be certain the treatment has been effective with no false negative.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing? Is there any further help I can provide to you?