Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.
Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.
Can you share a video of her walking/dragging her limbs, please?Is she indoors only or also outdoors?What happened prior to this occurrence? Any known fall or injury?Is she in pain?
Can you try uploading it to youtube and sharing it back? A lot of our customers are having issues with video uploads tonight. Probably a bug with the site. I'll be standing by.
Try something: Hold one of her front paws in your hand and then move to holding one of her back paws in your hand. Do you feel a substantial difference in temperature? Do the back feet seem warmer or cooler?
The non-usage of her back legs and progressive worsening of the symptoms makes me worry that she either has a neurological problem that needs to be treated or she has an underlying medical issue that has resulted in her being unable to use her rear legs. This can develop from a bad landing after a fall, a tumor in the body (she's rather young for this), heart disease and a clot being passed which keeps her from using her back legs, etc. I think you have more than enough reason to have her examined tomorrow with your vet. With this progressing as it has, the longer you go without addressing the symptoms the more likely she may not regain usage of the back legs. Your vet may want to take spinal x-rays to determine if there is anything abnormal and may also x-ray her heart to see if it is abnormally large (if so, this may indicate heart disease and that she may have passed a clot which resulted in her being unable to use her back legs).Until she can be examined, try to keep her from climbing down off of elevated surfaces on her own. If she can be kept in an area like a large dog kennel, a bathroom or empty closet where she cannot make it to an elevated surface and cause more injury, this would be ideal. With time, she may lose the ability to control her bladder and fecal material and accidents may occur.
I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800
I think it would be wise to give the steroids a chance to work. As the saying goes in vet med "No pet should die without the benefit of steroids". If the potential already exists for euthanasia, we should give the meds at least a few days before making that judgement. However, I do agree with your vet on the fact that there's a 50/50 chance that she will regain usage (she either will or she won't). The being said, did they take any x-rays?
Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing? Is there any further help I can provide to you?