Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

She's been having problems with her back legs for the past

Customer Question

She's been having problems with her back legs for the past few days. She's hasn't been eating a lot until we got her canned food today. The first few days she's was weak on the back legs but was able to keep her body up and walk. Last night and into today she is not able to walk, but just drags her body with her front two legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that we know of
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Midnight, she was born a year and a month ago
JA: How old is Midnight?
Customer: About a year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Midnight?
Customer: I'd say that's about it Just vomiting a couple times
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of her walking/dragging her limbs, please?

Is she indoors only or also outdoors?

What happened prior to this occurrence? Any known fall or injury?

Is she in pain?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's an indoor cat. We're not aware of any injustices. However, she is always jumping everywhere on pretty much anything. The video I attached is from 2 nights ago. She was able to put some pressure on her back legs. Last night and today she is unable to pick up her lower body. She uses her front legs to crawl from one place to another. I tried to attach a video however it keeps telling me the file can't be read.

Can you try uploading it to youtube and sharing it back? A lot of our customers are having issues with video uploads tonight. Probably a bug with the site. I'll be standing by.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfA2zf90z1s
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The "paralysis" of her legs has been progressing each day. I wouldn't say it is full paralasis. She is able to move her tail and paws.

Try something: Hold one of her front paws in your hand and then move to holding one of her back paws in your hand. Do you feel a substantial difference in temperature? Do the back feet seem warmer or cooler?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's currently under my bed and it's impossible to get to her and touch both paws to compare. I was able to reach and touch one of her back paws and it did seem to be the usual temperature she always is.

The non-usage of her back legs and progressive worsening of the symptoms makes me worry that she either has a neurological problem that needs to be treated or she has an underlying medical issue that has resulted in her being unable to use her rear legs. This can develop from a bad landing after a fall, a tumor in the body (she's rather young for this), heart disease and a clot being passed which keeps her from using her back legs, etc. I think you have more than enough reason to have her examined tomorrow with your vet. With this progressing as it has, the longer you go without addressing the symptoms the more likely she may not regain usage of the back legs. Your vet may want to take spinal x-rays to determine if there is anything abnormal and may also x-ray her heart to see if it is abnormally large (if so, this may indicate heart disease and that she may have passed a clot which resulted in her being unable to use her back legs).

Until she can be examined, try to keep her from climbing down off of elevated surfaces on her own. If she can be kept in an area like a large dog kennel, a bathroom or empty closet where she cannot make it to an elevated surface and cause more injury, this would be ideal. With time, she may lose the ability to control her bladder and fecal material and accidents may occur.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I took her to the vet today. He concluded that because of a recent fall, she had hurt her spine. This has led to inflammation and has resulted into lack of feeling in her lower body. In the visit, he made us aware that she is also unable to use the bathroom. Midnight, actually urinated on the table during the examination. He gave us anti-inflammatory medication, along with anti biotics to prevent an infection from kept urine in her bladder. I asked the vet on Modnights chances of regaining movement back in her legs and lower body. He said there's a 50/50 chances depending on how she reacts to the medication. My question is do you feel the same, or should we prepare the family for a chance of possible euthinasion to relive Modnight's pain.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

I think it would be wise to give the steroids a chance to work. As the saying goes in vet med "No pet should die without the benefit of steroids". If the potential already exists for euthanasia, we should give the meds at least a few days before making that judgement. However, I do agree with your vet on the fact that there's a 50/50 chance that she will regain usage (she either will or she won't). The being said, did they take any x-rays?

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing? Is there any further help I can provide to you?