nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

I just found out my cat is a diabetic, so twice a day I give

Customer Question

I just found out my cat is a diabetic, so twice a day I give her the insulin shots. However, She is having some strange looking skin problems that the vet can't really figure out. She is getting these big mole looking things all over her body which is causing the hair loss too...I was given cream and I have to take her a bath twice a week with this fungus type shampoo...It isn't working as my cat is now starting to get these on her beautiful face. What is happening to my cat????
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry your cat has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kat, age 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kat?
Customer: she is in good spirits and the sores doesn't seem to bother her, she isn't scratching
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Do you mean that the skin is darkening?

It is a color change or any raised areas? Any crusting, scaling, pimples/pustules, etc?

Is she itchy?

Can you take a photo of her skin since this sounds a bit odd? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm at work and am not able to send a photo...The black mole looking is smooth and is raised and she has about 5 on her body and two small ones on her leg and I noticed yesterday, her bottom paw is getting it...She has a massive blacking in the ear and now she is starting to show signs on the face. they don't seem to bother her and she is in good spirits...I'm just worried because she has lost so much hair on her body and they are spreading so pretty soon she is going to have a massive mess of these mole looking things all over her bald body..
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now if you can post a photo later that would be ideal to let me see what you are seeing. This is because if this is raised and pigmented, then you need her vet to biopsy one of these. This is because a melanoma would be a concern.

Otherwise, if it is flat and part of the skin, hyperpigmentation would be more suspect. For that one, it tends to be a side effect of chronic skin irritation and given the diffuse nature of what you are reporting would have been my top concern (though if it is raised a photo would really be ideal). It can be triggered by any allergen, drug reaction (if there is something in the insulin she is sensitive to) and on rare occasions we can see diabetic dermatosis which are often referred to as feline endocrine alopecia syndrome. And if she is losing fur as well then it could actually be a side effect of her diabetes. So, I would be keen to see what you are seeing but if she has hairloss and this is diffuse then that last one would be our concern but if it is raised like a mole then we'd want to have a biopsy of one to ensure this isn't a cancerous melanoma .

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 month ago.

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.