Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My 7 year old, docile, female cat got into some sort of

Customer Question

my 7 year old, docile, female cat got into some sort of altercation yesterday in the early morning. when i found her, she walked straight to my room and cowered under the bed. i left her with food, water, and a litter box and she slept all day. her eye was goopy and closed and her hind leg and paw were bloody but she was walking...gingerly. she has since relocated to the closet, her eye looks better but i dont think she's eaten nor had any water. should i take her to the vet? she seems sad and very anti-social...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** what??
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bradi?
Customer: she's normally vivacious, playful, and social. this sleeping all the time is very much out of character.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you happen to have pictures to share of the goopy eye and the bloody leg and paw?

Has she been holding the leg up or using it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the eye is opened now, a little swelling at the cheek. she uses the leg but i think it might be the nail area of her paw that may be painful. she was able to hop up on the bed yesterday and back down. she rarely wonders away from the yard and has never been in a fight before. it's her listlessness that frightens me.

I'm concerned too. The swelling you're seeing may be due to an abscess. With all of her symptoms combined, I would err on the side of caution and have her examined by your vet. With her in her early senior years, especially, it's best to err on the side of caution.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?