Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My cat of 11 years old was seen today for what the vet

Customer Question

Hi!
My cat of 11 years old was seen today for what the vet thought was a tumor. The vet at University Hospital did an Ultrasound ( she wanted to sedate for wiggling (would that affect imaging?), but didn't ) Anyway she said the bladder wall was very thick and not around ? Something triad ( where ureters enter) she said right ureter looked inflamed and so did spleen . Differential was carcinoma ( although not typical presentation as that's near triad? area ) vs. lymphoma ( rare in bladder but she saw a picture that looked like my cats bladder ) vs. Inflammation?! She leans toward lymphoma thinks she has 3-4 mos.
My cat is eating and acting normal however she keeps peeing small amounts. Sometimes drops only after long posturing. Sometimes a larger amount but not baseline. Anyway she is talking needle asp. Or biopsy. I feel this would not make a difference because poor prognosis either way with cancers. My question is if it is not cancer what could it be and how could they treat that?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Sorry for the wait. I was typing and then got called away.

It sounds like some type of bladder tumor to me as well. It could be inflammatory cystitis, but that is usually uniform around the bladder vs occurring in just one area. The trigone area is the typical location for a TCC (transitional cell carcinoma). Lymphoma can form anywhere.

I would be a little hesitant to do a biopsy. The reason is that TCC tumors can be spread during a needle aspirate or biopsy procedure. It's better to go in with a scope or surgically to get the sample so you don't seed tumor cells elsewhere in the abdomen.

If you just decide to forego diagnostics and start treatment, it's not at all the wrong decision. I would go with a steroid like Prednisolone. If it's Lymphoma, it can put it into remission. If it's TCC, it can help slow down the spread some, but it's not likely to do much other than improve her quality of life.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.
Hi Amy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?