Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 2 cats got their vaccines tonight (about 4 hours ago). It

Customer Question

My 2 cats got their vaccines tonight (about 4 hours ago). It was the FSC (or some such acronym). My male is acting a bit stangely. He is jumping one of his toys and making light meows. I don't remember him acting like this before. Both cats are 5. No vomiting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Simba
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simba?
Customer: No. his checkup did not indicate any other causes for concern. Oh - he is neutered and had occasionally been known to hump my leg in he past
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

I will wait for your reply so I know you are in the chat.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ian here
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 months ago.

Well, nothing you are describing is consistent with any typical vaccine reaction.

The typical symptoms that would concern me are:

1. vomiting

2. facial or any body swelling

3. hives or welts on the body

4. labored or open mouth breathing.

A normal reaction would be appearing a bit lethargic or off food for 12 to 24 hours.

So, overall, at this point, I don't believe the behavior change is a concern, and I can't attribute the behavior change to the vaccines.

Just for your information:

The typical cat vaccines are:

1. Rabies

2. FeLV (feline leukemia)

3. FVRCP (also called the combo)

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.
Hi Rhiana,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
good. No vomiting or any of those other symptoms listed. He was still jumping a bit the other night again, but if that is nothing to do with vaccines then that is fine - he has occasionally humped my leg in the past so that action itself is not new - the thing that was new was him doing to a toy and meowing bit more while doing it.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Does not sound vaccine related, or at least nothing to suggest a reaction.
I hope my answer was satisfactory.