Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cat is diabetic. Pupils are dilated and he is meowing

Customer Question

My cat is diabetic. Pupils are dilated and he is meowing (sounds like crying) randomly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: PC he is around 7 or 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about PC?
Customer: He has been diabetic for around around a year and a half I think
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just went out of town for a day over the weekend so he missed two doses, a night and an am. I just noticed pupil dilation last night and He has been coughing/last sneezing a little.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with PC. While mydriatic (wide open pupils) and vocalizing aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder, I need to consider hypertension and retinal hemorrhage/detachment in diabetics with those symptoms. Does PC appear to be normally sighted? Fearful cats (sympathetic nerve stimulation) will cause a transient mydriasis which resolves once a cat becomes calm.

Coughing and sneezing suggests infection with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) in an immunocompromised diabetic cat. Most cats will remiss unaided within 1-3 weeks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He appears to be normal sighted. His pupils aren't going down even in well lit room. They appear a bit cloudy and pupils are huge

Thank you! Cloudiness in association with mydriasis can indicate the corneal edema of glaucoma. Uveitis - inflammation of the iris and its attachments can cause clouding in the anterior chamber of the eye but miosis (smaller than normal pupils) is expected rather than mydriasis. To confound the diagnosis, glaucoma and uveitis can be found concomitantly. It would be prudent to have PC's vet carefully examine PC at this time. A thorough physical and ophthalmologic exam including intraocular and systemic blood pressure assessment is important. Please continue our conversation if you wish.