Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Fleas, 8 years old, Polo, No. He is up to date on his rabies

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: 8 years old, Polo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Polo?
Customer: No. He is up to date on his rabies shot. His vet, who he has seen since he was 1 years old, will not issue a prescription for Revolution until he is see for routine appointment. I have not been able to afford it. Over the counter flea meds have not helped
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 9 days ago.

Hello again,

If you can't afford the vet visit or the flea medication sold by the vet, try applying for Care Credit. Here is more information:

Over the counter flea meds are not effective, as you found out and in addition and more important, many cause cats to have very serious and sometimes, fatal adverse reactions, so I would never buy these meds in pet stores or supermarkets, etc. The biggest offenders are Hartz, Sergeant's, Zodiac, and many others.

In my area, they do sell Frontline/Frontline Plus and Advantage/Advantage II in Petsmart, Petco and Pet Supermarket, so I would suggest trying to find something like Advantage that you can buy over the counter from a reputable store.

There are two things you must do to eradicate fleas; one is to treat your cat with the right product and the other is to treat your home. Food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) can be used to sprinkle along baseboards and on carpets. It is not harmful to humans or pets and it will kill adult fleas, larvae and eggs. If you would rather get an exterminator that specializes in fleas who can treat inside and outside areas (if applicable), that would be best. Fleabusters is a good company and they're nationwide, so hopefully there's one near you. I used them personally and was very pleased.

I would not recommend putting their products on your cat, but using them to treat your home.

An exterminator who comes in and sprays around is not effective and is using a pesticide/insecticide that IS harmful to pets and humans.

I hope everything works out for you and your Polo!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 9 days ago.

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can find DE in plant nurseries, home improvement stores, garden shops of major department stores like Sears, Kmart, etc. Just make sure it is FOOD grade and not the type used in swimming pools.

Expert:  Cher replied 7 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Cher replied 6 days ago.

Hello again,

Just checking in to see how everything is going with Polo.

Did you find my answer helpful?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 days ago.

Hi, again.

I hadn't heard back from you and was just following up to see how everything is progressing. Were you able to get some Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) and use it on your carpets, hard floors, etc.?

Did you get some Advantage or Frontline in your pet supply store? If they don't carry it, try some grain and feed stores or order online.

Please let me know how Polo is coming along.

I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please tell me here or rate positively so I am compensated by the website for my time and assistance. Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,