PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My vet drained my kittens belly this afternoon - took 120ml

My vet drained my kittens belly this afternoon - took 120ml of fluid - there's still more to be drained. They wrapped her belly with gauze and self adhering wrap. It's still leaking. Help!?

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Kristin, it sounds like your kitten may have FIP, is this the case?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They drained her to have the fluid to send off for testing. As you know there's no test to definitely say yes or no to FIP
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Here's how they wrapped her

Because they inserted a needle through the body wall, we will see fluid to continue seeping though the body wall especially if there is still fluid in the abdomen under pressure. You can apply another light bandage over the top of this bandage until morning. By then, it may have stopped leaking or she may need a recheck by your vet.

You can use a sanitary pad or similar absorptive item placed over the area that is leaking. Secure with tape.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you! I wasn't sure if I needed to go back to the kitty ER.

As long as she is stable, no need. This happens quite frequently whether we are putting fluid under the skin or taking it from within the abdomen. I will tell you that some reading on FIP would be wise as this is probably what she has. If so, the prognosis is grave.

I will be on for another few hours. If you need more help, just let me know.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We've been reading about FIP continually since seeing the pet ER Saturday. The vet we went to for a second opinion mentioned it but after drawing the fluid out - advised the fluid wasn't up to par with that of an FIP cat.Just trying to be hopeful. We've had her six weeks and she's only six months old

I hope that's the case. Unfortunately, there aren't many other things that will cause such a high fluid buildup in such a young kitten. I hope it turns out to be something other, but I suspect FIP will remain high on the list of ruleouts.