Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I found a golf ball size mass on my cats belly just in front

Customer Question

I found a golf ball size mass on my cats belly just in front of her hind legs, this has just appeared in the past 2 days. She has been very grouchy with our other animals an has been hiding for the past 2 days.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: She lost a front tooth about 6 months ago
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How old is she?

Is she spayed? If so, how old was she when the procedure was done?

Does the mass seem painful or warmer to the touch?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
she is spayed, I don't know how old she was when it was done because she is a rescue. I've had her for 7 years and they estimated her to be around 2 years old due to her size but she has always been small. Ye's it seems to be tender to touch because when I try to palpate it she jumps and moves.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. My first thought is that this is most likely an abscess. It is possible that she punctured the areas one something, or it is a bite wound (most common cause of cat abscesses). It would definitely explain why she has been so grumpy. You can try putting a warm compress on the area for 5-10 minutes, but I doubt she would let you. The best course of action here would be to just have your vet check it out tomorrow. If they determine that it is indeed an abscess, then they will most likely need to drain it and start her on antibiotics. It is unlikely to be a mammary tumor with her young age and being spayed, so the only other thing that comes to mind is that she may have an inguinal hernia. That would usually be closer to the inner surface of the rear limb, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I considered a hernia due the mass is somewhat moveable. I also still consider a mammary tumor because the mass is right under a nipple. As I said I have no idea how old she truly is. She is an inside cat so a bite doesn't make sense. Also I see no sign of any type of injury.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Most of the time with an abscess, you won't see the sign of injury anymore because it has healed up. If she is older had gone through some heat cycles or even had kittens, then a mammary tumor is very possible, but it shouldn't be painful. A cyst in the mammary gland can develop as well and get infected, causing an abscess that way. A hernia would sit between the rear limbs. You may be able to reduce it back into the abdomen, but it shouldn't be freely movable. If a hernia is painful, though, that usually means something is caught in it. In that case, you probably wouldn't be able to move it much at all. The fact that it is painful is highly suggestive of an infection of some sort. Please let me know if you have further concerns.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your cat is doing and to see if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I took her to the vet and they believe it's just an infection. They gave her a steroid shot and she's on antibiotics now and we are watching to see if the mass goes down.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Good. Hopefully that is all it is. Thanks for the update. Let me know if you have further concerns.