Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital
2235453

My cat has a swollen belly and is still eating and drinking.

My cat has a swollen belly and is still eating and drinking. He also has not popped in four days.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is also 12 years old and has recently had a UTI.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your kitty isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

is he still urinating?

does he try to poop in the box or just hasn't went?

otherwise acting normal?

have you tried anything yet?

what type of diet is he on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ha still peeing normal but no poop. He is starting to act normal but again but only because we let hm eat his old wet food
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've also taken him to his litter box.
He was on a urinary diet foot with Clavamox pill and started vomiting. I called my vet and she gave him a cerebral shot.

ok thank you for that additional information. I am very concerned that he has gone this long without pooping. there is a good chance that he is constipated, and needs to be relieved asap. They can have complications from being constipated, so we need to address this asap. the first problem is hydration. if they are being in hydration or aren't taking enough in, this can cause them to be backed up. dry food is very devoid of moisture, so i would in the short term keep him on wet food and even add or blend in some wet food to the diet as well. in addition, fountains to help encourage to drink. you can also in short term add some low salt beef or chicken broth to the water to encourage him to drink more. we need to get some laxative into him as well to see if we can get things moving along. i would go get miralax powder now and give him 1/8-1/4 tsp every 12 hours until we get a stool movement. if you dont' get anything by tomorrow, then I would get him into the vet to be evaluated and potentially get an enema to get things moving through.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for the advice I will try that.

you are very welcome. is there anything else I can answer for you today?

if there isn't anything else then I wish you two the best!

Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.