Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat became very sick....within a day.....the nightbefore

Customer Question

My cat became very sick....within a day.....the nightbefore he was with me and my husband watching tv....the next eve...not moving, no eating but did drink a little when offered, was hiding in basement in a place he never goes...would not come when I call him (always came to me) call vet first thing next morn....took him to the vet.....he felt a tumer in him the size of a tennis ball.....he was just seen last month and updated all his shots and the vet didnt feel a tumor then....his gums were very white and around eyes also white....he told me he was very very sick and bleeding internally and not sure if he would make it thru the night....he did tell me if I wanted to try surgery it would take alot just to get him in shape....blood transfusions etc....he personally didn't think he would make it....we discussed and he told me I could take him home and see what he would do....we decided to give him a pain shot so he was not in any pain....he gave him banamine....the cat passed (30 min after shot) as soon as I walked in the house with him.....my question is would the banamine speed up the process or was he really that sick and he only had hrs to live.....he was only 10 yrs old....I have never put an animal down before and I question myself on if I should or shouldn't of had him give the banamine......so in the future I would know what banamine does to an animal..thank you Gina Stull
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: he was a healthy cat up to this point I thought.....no issues with him....he was a indoor outdoor cat but mostly indoor....he was neutered and a mane coon cat...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Gina, the banamine was unlikely to have sped up the process, but the stress of car travel and a veterinary visit may have been a catalyst to his passing. With him bleeding internally, he was already critical. The tumor should be blamed here, not the banamine.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do cats tend to hide this type of illnesses?
He seemed fine until that eve when I found him.

Yes, and with any illness, really. Once cats begin to feel very poorly, they want to be left alone.

Checking in, JA Customer. Did you have any additional questions over your companion's passing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, just wanted to make sure for future reference I make the correct calls. I guess we all second guess ourselves over something that is so critical as this.

I think that is very common for people to second-guess not only themselves but how the situation should have been handled. I think no matter what had happened, he would likely have passed away. I hope my discussion with you was able to give you some peace of mind.