Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Weak not eating today and just lying around, Patches and she

Customer Question

weak not eating today and just lying around
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Patches and she is 4 months. Has always been very small.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Patches?
Customer: She has always eaten well and even seemed a little chubby. We had a hurricane here and she hasn't been the same since.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any vomiting or diarrhea?
2) What food is being offered? kibble? canned?
3) What other symptoms have you witnessed since the hurricane?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no vomiting or diarrhea. offered both dry and wet food. ate a little wet last night today nothing
She was active and seemed ok then all of a sudden she is weak and not eating.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She not making any noises. She is quietly resting but she is so not alert as she usually would be.

If she is weak, I would highly recommend having her examined and diagnostics performed. With her small size, the stress of the hurricane may have set in motion obvious symptoms of an underlying condition such as a heart issue (murmurs don't need to be heard for heart abnormalities to be present). Stress alone is more than enough to cause a change in behavior and eventually, also, in eating habits.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to give her her appetite back.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. Blend together with water to make a slurry for her to drink. You can also use pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I think she is dehydrated as well. What do I do about that?

The increased fluid in the food I recommended will help to hydrate her. It will take time for that to replenish. If your vet examine her and she is dehydrated, SQ or IV fluids may be recommended.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
if she is not interested in eating on he own how can I feed her

The famotidine mentioned above may help give her her appetite back if her stomach feels unwell. You can force feed her liquid foods, but this is not a choice long-term. The problem needs to be diagnosed and treated. You can obtain a dropper or syringe from your local pharmacy and work on using the baby food as mentioned above if you wish to try force feeding her.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion?