Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

She is anemic and will not eat. She is on amoxicillin and

Customer Question

She is anemic and will not eat. She is on amoxicillin and vitamins BID but we cannot get her to eat unless we spoon feed and she even wants to spit that out. How often should she eat and how much and what? We are desperate and our vet does not have emergency hours!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sophie, 1 yr and 10 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: She is a rescue. No prior problems. Dilute calico, if that matters, and she is beutered. Current on vaccinations. The anemia is because of fleas. She never scratched and was treated with Capstar, but apparently still had fleas. She has been treated and there are no more now.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I have offered a phone call if this might be an easier option for you guys. Otherwise, we can keep chatting here.

What food are you feeding currently?

Does she have any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is she mobile or refusing to move from her position?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We are feeding wet canned food from a spoon. She is not vomiting and does not have diarrhea. She only gets up to use the litter box.

The wet food, is it pate or chunky?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Perfect. It's likely that her appetite is decreased due to the anemia, but the amoxicillin may also be playing a role. If you see more profound refusal to eat in the days to follow, talk to your vet about possibly switching antibiotics. You may also wish to try watery foods instead of just pate. You can try blending up some pureed food with water or pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

To help with any nausea she may be experiencing, she can also have regular pepcid (famotidine) given every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

If she does not begin to eat well for you in the next 24 hours, discussing an appetite stimulant with your vet would also be warranted.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 days ago.

Checking in. How is Sophie doing?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We switched her to baby food and she seems to like that better and take it better. Her tongue is starting to get pinker but she is still really lethargic. She is having trouble getting to the litter box on time due to her weakness, but is urinating. Her urine is yellow, so we upped the amount of water we are giving her. I am concerned about aspiration, and she does wheeze from time to time, but I think that is due to trying to take in more oxygen. We are calling the vet today to see about switching the antibiotic. She is warmer to the touch (ears no longer cold) and crawls out from under the blanket we have her in periodically, so she must be generating more of her own body heat. Gums are still pale, but like I said, the tongue seems to be pinker. Is this a slow process of recovery? It will be a week tomorrow since we started the amoxicillin and vitamins....

Anemia often does result in profound lethargy. Her wheezing, as you mentioned, may be due to poor oxygen absorption. This happens in anemic cats as they don't have the red blood cell volume needed to easily transport oxygen with each breath. For this reason, we often see cats who are anemic with increased respiratory effort and rates. This is an extremely slow process for recovery, especially if she did not receive a blood transfusion and there's no known reason for the anemia (which may still be causing her problems).

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing today?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
She was doing better last night and was sitting up and her tongue was pinking up, and even purred for us a little bit, which she had not had the air or energy to do for nearly a week. This morning, she ate for me before I left, but she had a seizure this morning about 7:45 that lasted about 30 seconds and passed away. She died in my daughter's arms. We are SO SAD. We did absolutely everything we could for her, but I think it was just too much for her little body. She meant so much to us, and we will miss her so.

It sounds like you're right. I am so sorry to hear of her passing. Please give my condolences to your daughter, as well.