Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat has a sore on the back of her neck. last night it was

Customer Question

my cat has a sore on the back of her neck.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: last night it was red and bumpy looking. Hallie aged 4 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hallie?
Customer: no, I haven't had her long and haven't taken her to an annual checkup. she is very shy and I have been trying to get her comfortable in her home. I don't know of any problems. She is a happy active cat.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 6 days ago.

Hi again, Alice.

I'm so glad you could give Hallie a loving home!

From your description, this red, bumpy looking sore on the back of her neck, might signify various conditions. She could have miliary dermatitis, which is usually caused by an allergy to fleas or other allergies. Here is more info:

It also could be ringworm, a fungal skin infection that is very contagious between cats and humans can get it from cats and vice-versa.

If you did use any topical flea treatment on her in this area, it could be an adverse reaction to that. Another possibility is a bite from an insect or spider or an eosinophilic granuloma.

I realize you wanted to wait until she was more settled in her new home, but this should be looked at by a vet in person, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment. She can have her annual exam at that time.

It might be easier to have a mobile vet or housecall vet come to YOU, and that would be easier and less stressful for her. You can look here, to see if there are any in your area:

I hope all will be well with Hallie! Please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The red bumps are gone today, they crusted over and the crust came off and hasn't crusted over yet
Expert:  Cher replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for your reply, Alice.

I'm glad to hear that the bumps are gone today and they had crusted over. This could be a sign of healing, but it would still be a good idea to have a vet take a look at it, in person. If it doesn't seem to bother her and she's not scratching at it, you can take a wait and see attitude and hopefully, it will heal on it's own. The biggest concern is preventing it from becoming infected. Symptoms of that, would be oozing, a foul smell and pain.

If you'd like to wait a little while before having her seen for her annual exam and have this looked at, it should be fine, as long as you monitor it, which I know you will. I would recommend putting some plain Neosporin on it, but you want to keep it dry and not moist, so it can crust over again and this time it might start disappearing altogether. Oh, one more thing; this could be an abscess that keeps opening and crusting, and could open again and cause a cycle of this. In this case, you should not wait to see the vet or have a vet come to your home to evaluate her.

I hope this helped you further.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 days ago.

Hi again, Alice.

I'm just checking in with you to see how Hallie is doing, now.

Did you find my answer helpful?

Please let me know; thanks!

Warmest wishes,