Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My car was declawed on Wednesday and she's had no problems

Customer Question

My car was declawed on Wednesday and she's had no problems up until a couple hours ago and now he one toe on one paw won't stop bleeding
JA: OK. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bella and 6 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you attach a picture of the bleeding toe?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I tried but I'm not sure if it posted

It has posted. The best approach will be to put Bella in a small area for the evening where she cannot jump and placing an e-collar on her so that she cannot groom this area. Your vet by tomorrow morning will need to clean this area. In some cases, vets will reglue/suture the area and place her on antibiotics.

Do you have an e-collar at home?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She has an e collar on and she was in our walk in closet. I think she tried scratching the door and that's what caused the bleeding. I don't think my vet is open on sundays but they did give me a paper with a number to the doctor if I had any questions.

I would contact them tomorrow morning. Prevent her from digging any further, if at all possible. With the rate it appears that she is bleeding currently, so long as she does not continue to injure the area by digging or cause injury by licking, she shouldn't bleed too much overnight.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What would the usually wash it out with? And what kind of glue do they use to close the wound ? So I don't have to worry about it too much right now. Just call the number in the morning to see what they can do?

Typically this area is washed with chlorhexidine and closed with derma bond. That said, be cautious to not clean this area at home or you may dislodge the glue from the other toes and cause more bleeding/risk of infection.

I would call them in the morning for more guidance.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Dermabond does absolute wonders. I work in surgery on humans and we use that all the time. I actually have some in my first aid kit just in case I cut myself at home doing something. Ok so I'll just call them tomorrow to see what they do. Thank you so very much. As soon as I saw the blood on the floor I freaked out cause I didn't know what to do. I held light pressure for a couple mins but then it started to bleed again. I think the second time I did that it stopped bleeding for now.

Excellent. Keep me posted if you need more help.