PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat has a bump at the base of his lower back by his tail

My cat has a bump at the base of his lower back by his tail and I touch it and he starts to bite of lick his lips or shake funny until I stop touching it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Junior I'm not sure his age but I got him at a no kill shelter 7 years ago. He is my son
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Junior I'm?
Customer: No he is got bad breath but he is very affectionate and runs around or laying next to me he does not seem sick or out of it.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is Junior inside only?
2) Any other cats in the household?
3) What flea prevention is being used?
4) When was it last applied?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he is inside only and yes there is another cat one other female named sissy

3) What flea prevention is being used?
4) When was it last applied?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He never has had flies I never used anything for flies

My concern in this area is that Junior is afflicted by something that is itchy which is commonly fleas in cats. He may have developed an abscess due to grooming, which could explain the swelling in this area. Due to the intense itching and swelling, I would urge you to have this area examined and treated. Your vet will likely want to provide a steroid injection to help with the itching, treat the swelling and have you being using a monthly flea prevention. Failing this, getting both Junior and Sissy started a quality flea prevention would be wise. Something like frontline, advantage, comfortis, etc. It's a misconception that cats need to be exposed to the outdoors for fleas to be a concern. They can live their entire life inside and still wind up with fleas.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks but it is sure costly I'll take them both in to the vet when I can

Start with the flea prevention if you're unable to afford a visit for the cats. Junior's visit will be more important at this point since he is the one with symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks

Sure thing!