Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Our 8 week old kitten has been unwell for a few days. A few

Customer Question

Our 8 week old kitten has been unwell for a few days. A few of days ago he was really skittish and constantly scratching himself, shaking his head. So we took him to the vets and they thought he might have worms so gave him a worming and flea treatment, which they didn't give the week before because he was so small, weighing only 0.48 kgs. Since then he's certainly better but he's now seems to be having trouble walking properly, almost walking like he's drunk! He's very lethargic, not interested in playing. He's still eating his food but has started to try and eat his litter in his litter tray. Plus, he's not sleeping in his bed anymore, maybe because he's having difficulty in climbing into it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Buddy.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?
Customer: His history before we got him is a bit sketchy, the lady who sold him to us said he was abandoned but was a bit vague about his age, etc.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I'm so sorry Buddy isn't feeling like himself.

If he was scratching and shaking his head, he might have ear mites and/or an ear infection. Look in his ears for a blackish-brown substance that resembles coffee grounds--that indicates ear mite debris. If he has an ear infection, this affects his vestibular system, which regulates equilibrium and balance, that's why he's walking like he's drunk. Vestibular syndrome makes him feel dizzy, so he feels unsteady on his feet and he can also be feeling nauseated, like humans do, with motion sickness.

Call your vet and report that Buddy is walking like he's drunk and you suspect an ear infection causing vestibular syndrome. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

--------------------

If he has an ear infection, this will need to be treated with antibiotic or anti-fungal ear drops from the vet, to clear it up.

I hope all will be well with Buddy and please let me know how he's doing. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the website for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply to Expert' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will take him to the vets tomorrow.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 month ago.

You're most welcome, and please let me know what the vet's diagnosis is.

Please take a moment to select a positive rating for my answer, as that is the only way the website recognizes me for my assistance. Thank you so much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher